Monday, December 29, 2008

For all you techies out there



I've been trying for a couple of months now to install Office 2007. I bought a cheap copy of Home and Student from Amazon because the only programmes I regularly use are Word and Excel.

Anyway, the problem was that I kept getting an error message which led me to believe that it might be a security issue because my permissions were not set correctly. Despite Googling for a solution, try as I might, I couldn't get to the root of the problem and it was really pissing me off.

Bingo, this afternoon I fixed it. Despite what the Microsoft KB lead me to believe, it wasn't actually a problem with permissions. I had to get into Windows 'clean boot mode' by messing about with 'msconfig' and this allowed the programmes to install. (You really know how to bore the pants off, don't you - Ed) What a great sense of achievement. Now all I've got to do is learn how to use the new interface. Still, it keeps me out of mischief!

What am I going to worry about tomorrow?

3 comments:

Jason said...

Alex and Jan,

I've been a reader of your blog for some time now. I was wondering if you've looked into using Google's Documents site. It has built in Word and Excel support with a simpler interface and it costs nothing. You can check out the site at http://docs.google.com

Have a happy holidays,
Jason

Alex said...

Hi Jason, thanks for your comment. Yes, I tried Google Docs a couple of years back when it first surfaced. I'm a big believer in offsite software and was fully prepared to switch but I found the site slow. After making changes to docs it took an age for the site to reflect the change, so I gave up. It could have been my internet connection, I'm not sure.
I've also tinkered with Open Office but eventually went back to what I felt most comfortable with and what I knew best.
I will give Google docs another try though.
Many, many thanks for your comment.

Jason said...

Always glad to comment. Please keep the blog posts coming. My girl and I are looking to buy a house in Languedoc-Roussillon in the next year or so. Your posts help to give us insight to living in the area. Many thanks for that and I hope you both have a Happy New Year.