Monday, March 24, 2008

Bebe a bord!

Staying on an automotive theme, does anyone feel the same as me about putting a small sign in the back window of a car saying that you have a 'baby on board'. When my first child was born I was naturally very protective, in fact, like most parents a little over protective. So much so that I considered putting one of these stickers in the back window of my car.

Then, thank goodness, I stopped to think. What did I hope to achieve? Was it going to slow down the traffic? Was it going to make idiot drivers drive more carefully? Was it going to protect my car, me, my child?
As a driver, did the stickers that I had seen make me change my behaviour? I always started a journey knowing that I didn't set out to hit the car in front. The accident would time consuming, inconvenient and cost me dearly. It was not a good idea. I tried hard not to hit other cars. If, however, I had decided that I would drive dangerously and was going to run into the back of other cars, would I do so more carefully. And, and it's a big and, and more to the bloody point, if you could now read the print of the bloody notice, then you had already parked your car in the trunk of the car in front and done whatever damage you could could do.
Mnnnnnn, that feels better!

2 comments:

MrsJ said...

One of my all-time pet hates as well!

They have always REALLY wound me up. What a stupid, useless idea.

If a driver can read the sign - they are obviously driving up your arse! In the car sense of course.....

And I bet they do not take the sign down when the child is not actually in the car either - so shouldn't it say 'Child Seat On Board?!'

PS
Look after yourself. No Easter eggs now...
Do what we did instead - drink some bubbly! I am sure there is less sugar in champagne....

xxxx

Mark said...

TEN WAYS TO MAKE DRIVING LESS BORING

Write the words "Help me" on your back window in red paint. The more it looks like blood, the better.

Wave at people often. If they wave back, offer an angry look and an obscene gesture.

Hang numerous car-fresheners in the rear-view mirror. Talk to them, stroking them lovingly.

Keep at least five cats in the car.

Stop and collect roadkill.

Stop at the green lights.

Go at red ones.

Have conversations, looking periodically at the passenger seat, when driving alone.

Wear a Chicken suit.

At stop lights, eye the person in the next car suspiciously. With a look of fear, lock your doors.


Mark