Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I can smell the food from here


On a whim, I called Olivier to see if he could look after our pooches for a couple of days whilst we nipped to Italy. Just recently I've been bugging Jan to prepare some Italian food and what better way to get what I want, and to give her a rest, than to get an Italian to cook for you. Olivier had space this week, so Jan set too, using her bloodhound skills to find something nice not more than 5 hours away. The Italian border is about 4 hours away so that gave us quite a few towns to choose from. She finally settled on
The Royal Hotel in San Remo. It's an expensive way to get a few bowls of pasta, but what the hell! Bet it tastes good!


***

This is an interesting article which adds weight to some of the things that I have been writing about France recently. France is a wonderful country, in so many ways, but it's in danger of slipping back into the middle ages unless it changes its leadership and its love of bureaucracy. Even with the right person at the helm it won't be easy but with a presidential election coming next year, both front runners, Zarkosy and Royal, appear to see the problems and appear to be making the right noises. It will be interesting.

***

Have you ever noticed how much faster a car goes after you have just cleaned it inside? I swear that ours glide through the air so much more smoothly. Maybe I just imagine it (you could say that - Ed.) but with that in mind I cleaned the car for tomorrow's journey.

No comments: