Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Domaine Costeplane


What a joke. Doesn't anyone get embarrassed?

***

Up early to finish clearing the last bits from our petite maison. It was renovated with much thought and loving care and Jan particularly is sorry to see it go. Ah well, I suppose that we could always renovate another.

***

Maisie is a delightful, chatty 3 year old and Elsie cries a lot. Never having been a real 'baby person', I know which I prefer. If at first you don't succeed, give them back to their parents!

***

I nipped over to Domaine Costeplane this afternoon to buy some more rosé. Vincent took me behind the scenes to let me try the juice which he has just pressed. He told me that he will make a slightly more sophisticated Chardonnay this year with more buttery overtones. To that end he has part picked the Chardonnay grapes and will pick the rest which will have 'more honey' in about a week. The juice that I tried looked and tasted not unlike an unfiltered sweet apple juice. In the same vein he is going to change the composition of his special rosé. Normally it is a Syrah, Grenache blend but, into the next wine he will add a little Merlot and it's the Merlot juice that we tried. This, like the Chardonnay was very sweet and it's amazing to think that it will eventually turn into wine. Power to his elbow!
The other interesting bit of information is that he will attend some kind of wine fair at Lords Cricket Ground, in London, in either January or February next year and I offered to accompany him. He seemed genuinely pleased. He deserves all the help he can get and that's something to look forward to next year. It's a tough job but someone has got to do it.

No comments: