Friday, January 05, 2007

Hidden


So last night was culture night. Jan, who is our culture secretary, had read good reviews about the French film Cache, Hidden. (The image above was the best that I could find regarding the word Hidden, sorry chaps.) It has won lots of honours, so we settled down to a gripping evening. What is it about continental films that make you endure long spells of silence and inaction? I estimate that at least 25% of the film involved long pauses and nothing actually happening. It wasn't exactly a bad film but we both looked at each other as the closing titles started to roll and said, "What happened to the ending?" Describing it as 109 minutes long was a bit of an exaggeration, never mind contravening The Trades Description Act, as were a lot of the unattributed comments on the box. To describe it as a "Stunning thriller," and "The most gripping film of the year," was just a little over the top. I've seen more exciting stuff watching Jan decide what to wear for the evening.


***

A couple of months back I had the Golf silencer fixed at the local garage. I can't tell you how many times I have called in to to pay the bill, which he never seems to have completed. I called in again this afternoon and he acknowledged that he had done it, but this time he couldn't find it. He seemed very impressed that I play tennis with William, mentioning it a couple of times, but doesn't seem bothered that I owe him money. Talking of tennis it was one set all again today but this time we won the first set 6-2 and then lost the second 7-5. Must do better!

No comments: