Tuesday, March 01, 2005

Going home via Boulogne

We leave Brighton on a cold, dull, drizzly morning and head for our first stop - Sainsburys. I think there is a medical term for compulsive shopping and will get back to you when I find out! We stock up with essential items like butternut squash, parsnips, chillies, pork pies and sausages. I've no idea how we have managed in France without these essentials - but I'll let you know when I've figured that one out as well.

(NOTE FROM JAN: Listen dog breath, when you're next stuffing your face with any of the aforementioned items, I'll make sure that you regret your sarcasm!)

Anyway, before I was so rudely interrupted and as I've mentioned before, I'm not a good seafarer. In anticipation of things to come, I was prompted to purchase some wrist bands that help control transport induced nausea. They work by exerting pressure on an acupuncture point (the Nei Kuan Point) on the wrist. Now I'm not a big believer in mystical medicine and was not at all encouraged when we were told that it was going to be a rough crossing. Thank God I'll be exerting pressure on my Nei Kuan Point, I thought to myself.

Because it was so rough, I considered that standing outside would probably be a little dangerous, so inside it was for the first 40 minutes. Either the bands had slipped off my Nei Kuan Point or they're bloody useless, I'll never know, but outside I went. It was a case of either redecorating the cabin or taking my chances at being washed overboard. Being washed overboard had a distinct appeal. If the journey had lasted another 20 minutes we would have had the answer as to whether the bands worked or not, but as it happened we entered the calm waters of the harbour just as I stepped outside. Welcome to Boulogne.

No comments: