Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Windy and no normal service

Wow, the Mistral is still very strong and cold, I'll be glad when it ends. Somebody once said that the Mistral blows in multiples of three days. At this rate it won't stop for at least another two days. Yuk.

Off to St Hippolyte to pick up the new bank cards and back to the bakers in Quissac for a paillasse aux cereales and Madame also sells me a new bread with figues. She is quite formidable, but I like her, so it is difficult to refuse. We had some for lunch and it was delicious

On the subject of customer service...........I placed an order with a very large computer company on 14th January. They promise 24 hr delivery....ish. I emailed about a week later, did not receive a reply and then phoned a day after that to be told that the order was "in process". I phoned today, 12 days after I originally placed the order, to be asked for a photocopy of my ID and credit card. When I asked why someone hadn't asked for this before, Joel said that they hadn't been able to get hold of me by phone (we have the FT answering service) and when pressed about the lack of response to my email (or why they hadn't sent me an email to the address that I'd supplied as part of the ordering process) I could positively hear the Gallic shrug. Having lived in France for some years now I am beginning to realise that customer service means "you don't have to do anything unless the customer contacts you". It is not the same everywhere but in my experience I suspect the same applies to the civil service.

And bye the way, for anybody who has been following all this rubbish, the plumber has still not shown up!

No comments: