Thursday, January 27, 2005

Getting excited

We're off to Italy on Saturday for a bit of R&R and we are both quite excited about it. We will spend a couple of nights "on the road" before we meet my mum, who will have flown in from Liverpool, in Rome. We will all then travel down to Foggia to visit Pia and Dino, my aunt and uncle. Pia is my mum's sister.

Mum is 80 years old and has a problem traveling light. The last time she flew down here she was charged £50 for excess baggage at both ends. I talk to her before every trip to make sure that she understands that she does not have to bring towels - MUM, WE HAVE TOWELS - as well as one of those new fangled washing machines! Needless to say she totally ignores me and then complains that the airlines are trying to rip her off and swears that she will never travel with them again. She likes to point out that her friend has flown the same route with BA and it only cost £150. I lose my rag and point out that even including her excess baggage at £100 and including the £30 fare with Ryanair it is still cheaper than BA. And what's more I end up paying the whole lot!!!! Can I get her to agree - what do you think? Do you think that we will have the same conversation in Rome - I think so. Despite knowing exactly what will happen I always end up losing my temper - when will I ever learn? And to cap it all just as she is about to return home she pulls me to one side and says gently "Alex please, when are going to learn to control your temper?" Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!! It's never boring with mum around!

To Nimes in the afternoon to visit the tax office, buy dog food and goodies for Max (Jan is already feeling guilty - what is it about women and guilt - about leaving him in kennels next week) and then to the oriental supermarket to buy lots of goodies that we didn't even know we needed. Could be a scrummy dinner tonight, but then it usually is! No complaints in that department.




No comments: