Monday, April 27, 2009

Lidl. Everything you never knew you needed.


I've ranted on about Lidl in the past, and today is no exception. I love the place. Even though Jan has objected to me buying essential life saving equipment previously (like a crash helmet and fire extinguisher), this morning I unwrapped my latest little treasure that I'd sneaked into the trolley on Saturday.

It's a amazing, small, four-in-one tool that you keep in the car. It's a hammer for breaking windscreen glass, an LCD tyre pressure gauge, a little torch and a knife for cutting your seat belt. As I explained the huge benefits of my versatile little friend, to my beloved, I could see that her eyes were glazing over.

Even though it only cost six euros, her face told me that she wasn't impressed. "What the hell would you do with it?" she enquired.

"It's easy," I said. "Imagine that it's late at night and you're involved in a nasty car accident. Your car is a total wreck, the doors won't open and you can't unbuckle your seat belt. You're trapped inside. This is where my amazing gadget comes into its own. After cutting your seat belt to free yourself, you break the glass with the hammer and then squeeze through through the window. And then, even though it's dark, using the inbuilt little torch, you can work your way round to each tyre and check your tyre pressures. Simple."

She did see the funny side!

No comments: