Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween


I like Halloween or, more to the point, I like to see children having some fun. We armed ourselves with goodies yesterday and sure enough they turned up. The first group were very young, accompanied by several parents who were playing musical instruments and singing. I hadn't seen that before but it made a pleasant change. The second group were older, unsupervised and more mischievous. 'Better to stay on the right side of this lot,' I thought, so they went away happy as well. This article surprised me, because we have seen more kids this year than any other.

***

Where has the year gone? It doesn't seem like two minutes ago that I was looking forward to getting my shorts on and heating the pool up. This is all a bit quick for me! Anyway, the morning of 1st November sees me continuing to clean up Christine's computer. It's a bit ancient (a bit like you - Ed.) and keeps hanging. Trying to complete even a simple task takes ages (a bit like you - Ed.) because it is constantly stop, start and it never seems to finish any simple task (a bit like you - Ed.). The answer is probably just to get a new model (a bit like ...... - Ed.).

***

I met Peter, my tennis pal, yesterday and he told me something interesting. He had just returned from his vacation, and he had brought back a German car (a Mercedes Estate) which he had to put through the control tecnique. It failed because it needed two new tyres. He told me that he had bought the tyres for 35 euros each, in Ales, and that they were second hand. Because he was selling the car he wasn't bothered if the tyres weren't new. I queried this and he said that they come out of Germany and that there is quite a big trade in second hand tyres in France. He explained that in Germany you are obliged, each November 1st, to change to winter tyres. Many households have the equipment to change tyres but many others don't, so, come November 1st they go to a garage and buy a new set of winter tyres and 'discard' the old one's. For the same reason, on March 30th you are legally obliged to change back to 'summer' tyres. Alles in ordnung.

1 comment:

blueVicar said...

Good to see the news of your trick-or-treaters.

I've been out the last several days reading Halloween related posts by expatriate bloggers...and putting the links to them on my blog. I just can't stop!

Meilleurs vœux!