Friday, August 12, 2005

A belated birthday present

I give Tom a belated birthday present by way of a tennis lesson. His mum mentioned that he would like this more than anything, so who am I to stand in his way? I enjoyed giving the lesson, which is always a good start. I enjoy teaching people who listen and try. What I dislike, more than anything, is someone who's there because mum or dad said that they had to have lessons and the pupil has only a passing interest in what's going on. It's a form of childminding, for which I would charge a much, much higher rate. Anyway, Tom does really well. With a few small changes he has a forehand, we switch him to a two handed backhand and give him a rudimentary serve. All in the space of an hour and twenty minutes. Well done Tom.

***

Jan and I had a full day together on our own, which was nice. We find so much to do and so much to talk about. We frolicked together, hand in hand, in the meadows, as the butterflies dance merrily in front of us. We whistled and sang our merry tunes, admired the flowers and picked little posies. Oh, how we laughed! (If you believe this, you'll believe anything - Ed.)
OK, so back to reality, we go shopping to buy some supplies and more importantly, some goodies, because today I feel like stuffing my face. So for dinner we had griddled scallops with a warm tomato, garlic and basil salsa, followed by barbecued Dorade. All washed down with a Les Pouges white from Gilles Leyris in the village,
all my favourite stuff. Face stuffed, I went to bed a tired but happy boy.

No comments: